Associate Professor in music
Dr Shertally K.N. Renganatha Sharma is a renowned vocal artiste in the field of Carnatic music today. Dr Sharma was born on December 30, 1966 to Lakshmi Ammal and Sangeetha Acharya K.Narayana Iyer.
From a very early age, Dr Sharma was exposed to the world of Carnatic music. He has been groomed under the guidance and training in the gurukula system of his father who belongs to Semmangudi tradition. Married to Mohana, also a professional singer in Carnatic music, he is blessed with two children.
Dr.Sharma secured his graduation and postgraduation in music from Calicut University with first rank and pursued his M.Phil degree at Madras University (1990). He did his doctoral thesis at Madurai Kamaraj University on ‘Analytical study on various laya aspects in Carnatic music’ (2007).
Dr Sharma began his teaching career in 1993 at ‘Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Vidhyalayam’, college of music, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, affiliated to the Madurai Kamaraj University and is presently serving as associate professor in music.
Dr Sharma is an ‘A’ grade artiste of All India Radio and Doordarshan since 1992. Apart from All India Radio’s regular concert schedules, he has performed in the
All India Radio South Zone Hook-Up in 1994,
Radio Sangeeth Sammelan in 1999 and 2005
A.I.R.National Programme - 2003 and 2010
S.R.S.N - Doordarshan South Zone Hook-Up Concerts in 2001 and 2004.
Apart from regular telecasting of Doordarshan concerts, Dr Sharma has given a special feature on ‘Silappadikaram’ for Chennai Doordarshan.
He performed in Navarathri Mandapam, Thiruvanathapuram, continuously for nine years since 1999.
Dr Sharma has been performing under the auspices of many leading music sabhas in Chennai during the December music festival like Music Academy, Narada Gana Sabha, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Nada Inbam, Nadopasana, Saraswathi Vakgeyakaara Trust, Hamsadhwani, Tyaga Brahma Sabha, etc. Apart from this, Dr Sharma has become a vital part of many prestigious music series conducted by esteemed music sabhas all over India.
With a concert career extending over two decades, Dr Sharma is also engaged in conducting lecture demonstrations and workshops on different aspects of Carnatic music.
- 1. Received Central government scholarship for advanced training in music.
- 2. ‘A’ grade artists of All India Radio and Doordarshan since 1992.
- 3. Received tambura from the Indian Fine Arts, Chennai (1990).
- 4. Cash award for expertise in Ragam–Tanam–Pallavi and ‘Vocal Gents’ award from Music Academy, Chennai (1990).
- 5. Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar Memorial Award from Sri Ragam Fine Arts, Chennai. (1995)
- 6. ‘Isai Jnana Tilakam’, ’Madhura Gana Sudha’ - some of the titles conferred.
- 7. Asthana Vidwan of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam - 2007
- 8. Music Academy Award for Best Raga Alapana – December Music Season-2007.
- 9. Maharajapuram Santhanam Trust conferred ‘Meritorious Excellence Award’ in 2009.
- · ‘Veterans with New Star’ along with maestro Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam
- · Manorama Music Heritage Series ‘Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi’ (2006)
- ‘Celestial Classical Music’ M.H. Audio, Kerala (1995)
- · Manorama Music Heritage series ‘Saraswathi Kritis’ (2007)
- · ‘Bharath Sangeet Utsav-2007 Live Concert’ at Narada Gana Sabha released by Carnatica
- Manorama Music live concert 2009 with Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam, V Srikanth, and Vakkom Gopalakrishnan